Thursday, July 21, 2011

Social Norms

Since making the decision to quit my nine to five, I have been taking time just to be. Recently, though, I've started feeling the pressure to 'get on with it' and open the mythical studio I've talked about so much. Today, I sat down with myself to ponder why that is. I am happier now than I ever have been, and I don't have any of the usual stresses that would make someone feel the need to work, so what's going on? This question hasn't been fully answered yet, but I believe a large part of it is the pressure of social norms. The only thing that has really changed recently is the number of people asking me when I'm opening up shop. I'm 100% certain that they are not trying to put pressure on me, but in their eyes I see a hint of concern that I am unfocused and unmotivated. What I'm realizing now, is it may be as much a reflection of myself I see as their opinions. I have never been so sure that I'm on the right path, and have never been so determined to follow the path before me as I am now. However, my subconscious still clings to ideas of what I "should" be doing. For as long as I can remember I've known I would go to college and get a good job and live happily ever after. I think some of the pressure I'm feeling right now is just friction from going against the flow of those preconceived notions.

On the first day of teacher training I opened my philosophy manual and read the following words: "Many sadhakas (spiritual aspirants) start their spiritual lives with well-developed preconceptions about sadhana, realization, guru, and the like. But true spiritual life is often quite different from what the individual fondly imagines it to be." Although the preconceptions I mentioned earlier where about my 'secular' life, I believe the concept holds true. The passage in my training manual continues, "Be prepared to adapt yourself to (spiritual life), instead of foolishly wishing (it) to adjust (itself) to suit your mental pattern." My body has become infinitely more flexible through yoga, and now it is time for that flexibility to reach my mind. It is ok that I am taking my time now. This journey is not solely about opening a yoga studio - it is about self-discovery and transcendence.

Namaste

P.S. There is a great speech by Sir Ken Robinson on TED talks in which he talks about breaking away from the pulls of educational norms. Highly recommended. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment