Monday, October 3, 2011

Fruitless Fruit

As I waited in the studio this weekend to see if any students would come (they did!!) I picked up B.K.S. Iyengar's book, Light on Yoga. I was immediately drawn to a translation from the Bhagavad Gita:
Work alone is your privilege, never the fruits thereof. Never let the fruits of action be your motive; and never cease to work. Work in the name of the Lord, abandoning selfish desires. Be not affected by success or failure. This equipoise is called Yoga.
Setting the book back down, I closed my eyes and really focused on those words. In a state near pratyahara, I found peace in the knowledge that I was there to serve as a teacher and truly wasn't motivated by a desire to make money. As I brought my focus back to the room my door opened and in walked my first paying student! It was a humbling experience to say the least!

The entire weekend was a great success, both fiscally and spiritually!

No comments:

Post a Comment