Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Joy In Any State

He who with proper regularity eats, relaxes, works, sleeps, and remains awake will find yoga the destroyer of suffering. Bhagavad Gita, Chapter 6, Verse 17
I'm not sure if it's just my personality type, or if this is common among other people, but I have a tendency to become absorbed by things that are new and exciting to me. I will work tirelessly at whatever this new fascination is until I ultimately burn myself out. This verse of the Bhagavad Gita points out that the beginner yogi should not try to remain in meditation (including meditation in asana) and thus ignore the performance of good outward actions. Don't forget - yoga isn't just about balancing your body on your mat, it's about balancing your life and thus settling the movements of the mind.

He who, in a balanced way, tries to be both human and divine will automatically find that he experiences equal joy whether he is in the state of human activity or in the state of deep meditation. -Sri Sri Paramahansa Yogananda


(This passage from the Gita has many layers of interpretation, this is the outermost, that most related to the outer kosha...which I promise we will get to soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment